Students from Green-Schools all over Ireland will come together during Walk to School Week: 13th – 17th May 2013 to show their support for a greener, healthier environment by encouraging pupils, parents and teachers to walk to school wherever possible. Therefore we ask you to:
Join in Green-Schools’ National WOW day on Wednesday 15th May 2013 and help us reach the target of 20,000 people walking to school all over Ireland.
Download a poster for your school here.
Download a poster as Gaeilge here.
You can also combine this event with a week of activities aimed at raising awareness of the benefits of walking to school. Why not try out some of the following event suggestions:
- WOW day in fancy dress
- Walk Around Ireland - Use this resource to encourage and monitor a culture of walking within your school. Start it during Walk to School Week 2013. (Ask your local Green-Schools Travel Education Officer for details)
- Walk more than once a week, by running ‘Feet First Friday’ for example
- Organise a sponsored Walk to School event
- Organise a Walk to School non-uniform day
- Organise a health and physical activity week
- Organise speakers e.g. road safety talk
- Run competitions (e.g. posters, green codes or slogans, songs, poems)
Be creative and think of your own ideas and most importantly ... have fun!
We want to hear from you...
Tell us what you did to celebrate National Walk to School Week 2013. Keep a record of how many people walked to school on National WOW day – Wednesday 15th May and help us reach the goal of 20,000 people walking to school on that day. There are three dfferent ways you can tell us how many people walked on National WOW Day in your school:
- TEXT us the details at 086-0311412
- EMAIL us at email@example.com
- POST us the form sent to schools with the Walk to School week mailout.
Remember to take photos of your events and get in touch with your local Green-Schools Travel Education Officer with your information.
Please contact The Green-Schools Travel Team on 01 400 2202 or your local Green-Schools Travel Education Officer with any enquiries.